History of Carmel Convent School
“Carmel Convent School, Delhi seems like a dream come true.” These are the words of mother Theodosia (principal and manager) who founded this worthy institution on July 16th, 1957. She, along with five other sisters were pioneers of this establishment.
To begin with, the sisters resided at 65/48 Diplomatic Enclave. There was no furniture, no lights and no fans in the school. For every necessity, they had to depend on friends and benefactors. In this regard Mr. J.M. Souza, the Manager, The Times of India provided tremendous support. While ground preparations were being done, admissions were being made simultaneously.
The first student Iona D’Souza, a Catholic Goan girl, who was admitted on July 1st, 1957, followed by 59 others. On 16th July, 1957, on the feast of the Lady of Mount Carmel, the first sixty children were placed under her protection and the school was inaugurated in the presence of their parents. Convent School took on an international character with the admission of foreign children from embassies for classes Nursery - Std two. By December 1957 there were 150 children on roll.
In January, 1985 by the beginning of the next academic year, the number of students on roll was 350. Standard six was added the following year in January 1959 and the lower classes were divided into two sections each. To accommodate the growing number of students, a bigger house was rented on 4, Kichener Road (now known as Sardar Patel Marg). The sisters resided on the first floor and the school functioned on the ground floor. In the mean time the search for land continued.
On 18th June 1958, the mantle of Principal and Manager fell on the shoulders of Sr. Denise while Mother Theodosia who had been elected superior general of the congregation had to leave Delhi.
After nearly four years, the ‘the prize plot’, - the present premises was acquired on 15th February 1961. A 3.06 acre plot on payment of rupees 40,577.50 paisa. On 5th April 1961, five hundred children marched proudly to the school grounds, the school’s pupil leader holding aloft the school banner singing the hymn “We are assembled here today” - dedicated to our Mother of Carmel.
On May 1961, Mrs Violet Alva, Deputy Home Minister laid the foundation stone of Carmel Convent School building on the newly acquired grounds at MalchaMarg, and his Grace Angelo Fernandes, the Archbishop of Delhi blessed the foundation stone.
Over the years the school has graduated from Delhi board, ICSE (1976) to CBSE (1981) and currently the number of students on roll today is above 2000. Carmel has come a long way since its inception in 1957. 2006 marked the death centenary of our Foundress Mother Veronica. On 16th July, 2006 Carmel Convent School inaugurated its 50th year. To commemorate the Golden Jubilee year an entire week of inter school events had been organized. To mark the conclusion of the Golden Jubilee year, Carmel Convent School, New Delhi hosted a series of inter- school cultural events from the from the 17th to the 27th of July. Many prestigious schools across the city attended the events.